Ayurvedic oil has been relied upon for thousands of years as a fundamental part of Ayurveda. Oil is traditionally used in Ayurvedic healing in a variety of ways including raw consumption, cooking, massage, bathing, gargling, basti (colon nourishment) and nasya (nasal passage nourishment).
Two basic categories of Ayurvedic oil:
- Base Oil—Pure, whole, organic oil from a natural source (such as sesame, almond, coconut, or sunflower)
- Herbal Oil—A base oil infused with a decoction of one or more Ayurvedic herbs—combining the nourishing and soothing qualities of the oil with the healing properties of the herbs.
Ayurvedic oil is calming, soothing, moistening and lubricating. Furthermore, the word for oil in Sanskrit—sneha—is also a word for love, and therefore holds a special place in the Ayurvedic tradition as the ultimate nourisher and carrier of love. Ayurvedic oil transmits these qualities deep into the tissues of the body.
MRT Organic offers these pure, unrefined, and certified organic base Ayurvedic oils:
|· A deeply penetrating and warming oil that nourishes the bones, muscles and tissues. Ashwagandha has a carminative effect on the nervous system promoting relaxation whilst also tonifying and strengthening the nerves.|
· Ashwagandha oil is excellent for reducing Vata disorders such as nerve or muscle pain, poor circulation, debility and anxiety. It is ideal as a massage oil for Vata constitutions or for anyone wanting to balance Vata aggravation.
· It is also extremely nourishing and restores the skin’s natural suppleness and elasticity and is excellent for dry or dehydrated skin and prevention of wrinkles. Used as an anti-inflammatory it helps alleviate swelling associated with intense physical training, commonly experienced by athletes and dancers.
· It is also beneficial as a preventative measure against strains promoting the strength and flexibility of the muscles and protecting the joints.
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Sesame oil